Categories:

Ashton Powers Through Her Senior Season on the Tennis Courts

Senior and Captain of the Girls’ Varsity Tennis Team, Gabrielle Ashton will soon play her final few matches at the Manchester Township High School Tennis Complex.

Ashton has been working with Coach Sweeney McKennan and the tennis program for many years. From summer Saturday practices at nine-years-old to playing first singles Varsity Girls Tennis, Ashton has dedicated much time and effort to the game.

“I loved tennis so much that I could not wait to get up to high school to play, and nine years later, my passion for the game still has not changed,” expresses Gabrielle Ashton.

During Ashton’s sophomore year, Coach McKennan gave Ashton the nickname O.S., which stands for “Old-School.” A name that sparked from the old school style hitting she displayed since she started playing tennis. 

Throughout Ashton’s high school tennis career, she was able to grow as a player and as a teammate while gaining a wide range of skills, most notably leadership skills. 

“At first I was a quiet freshman, but as the years progressed, tennis brought me out of my shell, helping me to become a two-year junior and senior captain at varsity first singles.”

On the courts, Ashton became a role model, setting the example, taking charge, striving for perfection, and making necessary adjustments to attend to her opponents. 

“She is the first one to practice and the last one to leave,” states Coach Sweeney McKennan, Girls Varsity Tennis Coach.

During practices, Ashton will often take part in what McKennan refers to as “peer practices,” where she helps teammates grasp new skills. 

With college right around the corner, Ashton plans to continue the sport on a club level and stay involved with the Manchester recreational program during the summers.

Currently, for the Lady Hawks tennis team, several games are left for the season, and a date for the senior night is to be announced where Ashton will sign her name on the tennis shed as tradition.

“Emotions will definitely be high following my last match at the Hawks Nest, but I am ready to see what the future has in store!” – Ashton.