First Ever- Spring Track Senior Field Night- at Manchester Township

Photo by Jessica Struble
Photo by Jessica Struble

With summer vacation around the corner, the high school spring season of sports fades to an end, and for some athletes, the last time. 

Many sports such as baseball, softball and lacrosse held their annual senior night following the tradition of hosting a before game ceremony recognizing seniors on the team. 

Spring track typically follows the senior night criteria, however, this year the team took a different approach to recognize their seniors as the schedule caused a fault to tradition. 

With no home meets scheduled, with the help of coaches, fellow teammate and families, a field night was designed as an alternative to a meet. 

June 3, 2024 became the first ever senior night field night hosted at the hawks nest.

The night started with a small barbeque offered to guests, athletes, family and friends. 

As per tradition, Coach Griffith and Coach Struble announced their seniors as they each walked onto the track on last time, escorted by loved ones.

After the ceremony, the games began. In a fun filled game, “Anything but a relay, ” small teams ran a 4×100 relay but with their choice of hand-off item opposed to an actual baton.  Additional games of tug-of-war and a water balloon fight made much fun until the night came to an end.

Filled with loved ones, photos, laughs, posters and gifts, the honorary field night became a memorable night for the track family at Manchester Township High School.

As for the next year, the fate of the track schedule may deem the night tobe a new tradition or a return to the classics.