Game On at The Esports Club!

The Esports Club returns this year better (and bigger) than ever! Read on for updates and the latest scores for the club!

The Esports Club gaming in room 326

Sam Verdi, Editor-in-Chief and History/Nature Columnist

This year the Esports Club has two sub-divisions: the competitive side and the casual side. The competitive aspect is run by President Brian Test, and the casual side is run by President Angie Tayeb. Both act as co-presidents on the Esports Club Board, overseen by Club Advisor Ms. Yates.

The causal aspect of the club is for anyone who just wants to play games for fun with a casual level of competition.

“It helps people express their interest in after school activities and get them more involved,” says President Angie Tayeb.

The casual side of the club often holds tournaments within the school, such as a Super Smash Bros. tournament last year.

“It’s a fun place to just hang out and play games,” says last year’s Super Smash Bros. Champion, Isaac Panora.

The Esports Casual meetings are held on Thursdays after school in room 326.

“It’s somewhere to hang out after school; I like video games, it’s great to hang around with other people who like video games,” says esports casual member Noel Steger.

Switching gears to the competitive aspect of the club, this half specializes in playing games on behalf of MTHS in leagues. Games currently include Minecraft, Super Smash Bros., Rocket League, and Valorant.

“Competitive esports gives the competitive aspect of a sport without having to be athletic,” says President Brian Test.

The MTHS Esports Club is part of the High School Esports League, a national league, and the Garden State Esports League, a state-wide esports league.

The fall season for these leagues has begun, with MTHS Esports members currently competing in Super Smash Bros., Valorant, and Minecraft.

Scores are as follows:

The Super Smash Bros. team is at a close 0-2

The Valorant Team is holding steady at 2-2

The Minecraft Survival Games players are currently Brian Test with a rank of 28/680 nationally, Samantha Verdi with a rank of 32/680 nationally, and Lily Tudo who will soon play after a setback of technical difficulties

Competitive esports players are welcome to casual meetings and casual players are welcome to competitive tryouts if they please. Competitive members sometimes meet on Tuesdays on specified dates.

Regardless of what side of the club you’re on, playing video games and having fun with friends is still the root of the club.

“I feel it gives kids who don’t have any after school activities a safe place to do what they love,” says Club Advisor Ms. Yates.