Paper Mache Art Show: Fantasy to Reality

by Val Kohan

Jamie Jackson and Bella Hoffman

Childhood wonder is a fond memory for many people. It sparks visions that mesmerize and excite all who experience it. Yet, this sense of imagination and creativity is often only enjoyed in the moment with others. This is why the Manchester Township High School’s very own Art Department works to create an everlasting image by having high school and elementary students collaborate to turn a drawing on paper into something physical. 

This project has been done annually for the past 6 years with the aim to get the elementary students excited about their own ideas and their future. 

Mrs. Malebranche, the art teacher in charge, explains that for this project, elementary students must draw an imaginary creature with a set theme in mind- (this year’s theme was “Sweets and Treats”). These drawings will be entered into a competition. Only a small amount of the drawings will be selected and turned into a paper mache sculpture that strictly uses recycled materials. 

This paper mache project is only open to specific art classes in the high school, primarily Intro level classes. That being said, some higher level art classes are also offered this opportunity. 

The goal of this project is to draw connections between the grade levels, encourage the elementary students to be excited about their creativity, and to get high school artists to tune back into that carefree approach to their art.

After completion, the artworks are presented in an annual art show that takes place towards the end of the year. Pictures drawn by elementary school students are framed professionally to convey the importance of their work. In addition, the selected students have the option to meet with the artist who created their sculpture, and decide whether to keep or toss the creation.

In doing so, the students at Manchester High have successfully created a positive link between grade levels, and has given high school students an opportunity to tap back into their childhood wonder.

See some paper mache works in progress below…