Q & A: MTHS Drama Club Presents The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical With Dylan Delmonico

Get the inside scoop of Camp Half-Blood with the Vice President of the Drama Club, in a one-on-one interview with Dylan Delmonico.

by Val Kohan

Val Kohan, Editor-in-Chief/Entertainment Columnist

Though everyone is still prepping and working hard on the production of this year’s show, The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical, Senior Drama Club member, Dylan Delmonico couldn’t hold back his excitement about taking the stage for his final show as both Mr. Brunner/Chiron and the “God of the Underworld”, Hades. As someone who is not shy to arts, going on his seventh year straight in Drama Club as well as belonging to the Boy Varsity Vocals, taking his final bow on the Manchester stage is sentimental in a way. But as Dylan has a flair for dramatics, he plans to go out with a bang as centaur, Mr. Brunner/Chiron, and the hot head, Hades. 

Q: So, you have been in Drama all four years of High School and all throughout Middle School as well. With that much experience, how does it feel to be taking center stage for the last time?? One final bow away from graduation?? Your senior show is sentimental for multiple reasons, what do you plan to do for your final show at Manchester to leave your legacy behind??

A: It feels good but a little bittersweet to bow with this cast. One final bow before graduation is crazy and it feels so far away but is coming up fast. I plan for my final show at MTHS to be close to perfect and to leave it all on the stage. 

Q: You are juggling quite a bit with the Drama Club, being Vice President and Assistant Director must be a lot. What contributions do you give to the Drama Club by having such an important role?? 

A: The contribution that I give to the Drama Club is making sure everything is running smoothly. I also try to make sure that everything is right to put on a great show. 

Q: How did you feel as an officer that your final show at Manchester would be Percy Jackson?? Was that show thrown into the mix a lot while discussing the 2023 show?? Was it a difficult decision?? What other shows were in mind??

A: I feel good as an officer that the show is Percy Jackson. The show was thrown into the mix while discussing the 2023 show. It was between that and Shrek. It wasn’t a hard decision to make when picking the show. A lot of other shows were in mind but a lot of people wanted Percy Jackson and the other half wanted Shrek. It was split 50/50. 

Q: Percy Jackson isn’t a very popular, well known show compared to High School Musical (MTHS Drama Club Production , did you have prior knowledge of the stage show, book series, or movies beforehand?? With a new Disney+ show coming out, do you think this is the best time to put on Percy Jackson?? 

A: I didn’t have knowledge of the stage show until after it was announced and I did my research and listened to the cast recording. I did know the books and movies because I read the first book (The Lightning Thief), and watched the movies (The Lightning Thief and Sea of Monsters). With the Disney+ series coming out, I do think that it is the best time to put it on because not a lot of people know it and are probably seeing the stage show for the first time and going in with a blank slate. 

Q: Being a pro at the whole Drama, Acting, Singing thing, taking on not just Vice President but Assistant Director, and playing two roles as well is impressive!! Tell us about who you’re playing?? 

A: Thank You. The roles I am playing are Mr.Brunner/Chiron and Hades. Mr Brunner is Chiron’s alter ego and he is Percy’s teacher/mentor to look over him. When Percy gets to Camp Half-Blood, Mr. Brunner becomes Chiron, who is a centaur (mythical creature that is half human, half horse), who is basically Percy’s mentor and helps out while he is at Camp Half-Blood and protects him. Hades on the other hand is the complete opposite. Hades is the “God of the Underworld”, living in his own world and is out there just living his (after) life with fabulous outfits in this version. 

Q: Wow… Being cast as the “God of the Underworld” sounds like a really fun character to play. What is your inspiration going to be while you portray a character that has been done for countless years?? Making the character your own is such a great talent to have as an actor and breaking new grounds is always needed in Drama. 

A: It is a fun character to play. My inspiration to play Hades the “God of the Underworld” is to be myself in it and also looking at past people that have played him, especially James Wood, who voiced Hades in the 1997 Disney animated movie, Hercules

Q: Last year in High School Musical, Mr. Darbus had some of the best costumes and wardrobe in the show (especially that red sparkly jacket). How do you plan to upstage that character with Hades?? 

A: Yes!! Mr. Darbus did have some of the best outfits [laughing] even the red jacket. I do have a few things up my sleeves to one up for Hades. I don’t want to give a lot away but I am basing it off an iconic 70s celebrity and his outfits. That is all I’m going to say on that. Get tickets and come see the show to see. 

Q: Drama Club is something that is so important to you and has shaped who you are… Why do you believe Drama Club and the arts are so important in Manchester and today’s culture??  

A: I believe that the Drama Club and the arts are important in MTHS and today’s culture because it is a safe space. You can just be someone else on stage. You can be whoever you want other than yourself. The arts in general are a place where you can let your imagination and creativity and yourself go. The fun part is that we all create a bond and can be ourselves around the people. 

Q: Is there anything you would like to tease about the show to draw in crowds?? Anything you can leak about the show?? 

A: There is a lot of fighting in this show and a lot of cool effects. Also there is an outfit that everyone might know that will be worn by Hades. So, come see the show because you are bound to have a fun time. 

Q: And finally, is there anything else you like to put out there?? Promote the show?? Or send a message about the Drama Club??

A: I would like to put it out there that Drama Club is a family and we all love each other. It is also a place of acceptance regardless of race, gender and sexuality. Lastly, please come see the show and just have fun. 

Go Support the Drama Club and Dylan in The Lightning Thief with shows on March 10th and 11th!!