A Bucket List to Success – Do It Now!

Key Club members help at Back to School Night on September 30, 2022. Image courtesy of Abigail Williams.

Abigail Williams, Staff Writer

It has become an ongoing issue that underclassmen in high schools around New Jersey are neglecting to think about their futures. Because of this, they are actually losing money. Students considering moving on to higher education are especially subject to this. 

Whether students decide to go to college or technical school, the cost takes a great deal of money out of the scholars’ pockets. It is important to think about their futures early on to prevent spending more money on their education than necessary. Students who do not do this are not seizing the opportunities given to them on a silver platter.

There are plenty of ways for students to start pre-planning their futures by taking on dual enrollment classes, clubs, sports, summer classes, honors and AP classes. Those who do so are much more likely to have a successful future than those who wait and take the lazy path. College is expensive and pre-planning students’ futures gives them higher access to possible scholarships, cheaper programs, and a jumpstart on their education.

President of Key Club, Wiktoria Perlowski, concurs with this. For the past four years of high school, she has participated in a multitude of advanced classes and clubs such as AP Comparative Government, AP Psychology, Key Club, Bible Club, Volleyball, and more. Taking on these rigorous classes and extracurriculars has allowed Perlowski to challenge herself and become more accustomed to difficult courses and scenarios so that she may manage her time efficiently and take charge when necessary. As a result, Perlowski has been admitted to Gordon College in Wenham, Massachusetts with an annual scholarship award of over $18,000.

So is it worth it? According to Ms. Perlowski, “Even if you don’t score well in those courses, you enter college being able to handle the workload and teaching styles, ahead of your classmates”. There are many benefits to taking advanced courses and extracurriculars, not only boosting the student’s GPA and bulking up their resumes, but it also gives a taste of what college life will be like, preparing them for the future.

It is important for underclassmen to start organizing their futures now while they still can. Students who go down this path sooner rather than later have admitted to having a much more enjoyable high school experience and have saved thousands of dollars on future education. Balancing such a complex schedule is not easy, but as long as students do not overwork themselves, there are no downsides, so start planning now.