The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

By Emily Johnson via. Canva
May at Manchester
April 29, 2024

Track and Field Competes at the Meet of Champs

Image via @njmilesplit on twitter

Both the boys and girls varsity Track and Field programs sent at least one competitor to the NJSIAA Meet of Champions this past Sunday, March 5.

The Meet of Champions is the highest level of state competition in  New Jersey Track and Field. Competitors earn a spot in the meet first by making it out of the Sectional Championship meet- where the top six finishers in each event move on to the Group Championships.

At the Group Championship Meet, the top three finishers in each event earn an automatic bid to the Meet of Champions, along with 12 wild cards- the next fastest finishers across all groups who did not earn an automatic qualifying spot. Additionally, there are five “showcase” events that are not featured in the Sectional and Group Championships: 200m, 4x800m relay, long jump, triple jump. To qualify for these events, an athlete must be in the top 24 ranked entries on the Meet of Champions milesplit page. 

The showcase qualification was the route used for the girl’s competitor, Bella Palmiotto, who competed in triple jump. Palmiotto came in 11th with a jump of 35-10 (feet-inches). Palmiotto’s Meet of Champions mark was the second best posted in triple jump in the Shore Conference this season, second to only her own 36-1.5 from earlier in the season. 

On the boys side, pole vaulter Brian Swain placed 10th with a 13-0 jump. While this was not his best mark of the season, Swain finished his season as the top pole vaulter in the Shore with his earlier season mark of 14-0, which also earned him the indoor school record.

Hurdler and sprinter Joey Kurak was the final Hawks competitor at the Meet of Champions. Kurak finished 2nd in the 55m hurdles with a time of 7.30. This time was a personal best for Kurak and consequently broke his own school record. Even more impressive though, his 7.30 finish broke the all time Shore Conference record and placed him at #4 in the nation. 

Kurak will compete in the 55m hurdles at New Balance Indoor Nationals in Boston this weekend, March 8-9. Also competing at New Balance Indoor Nationals is freshman Chase Griffith, who did not qualify or compete at the Meet of Champions, but went well under the freshmen 800m qualifying standard of 2:09.00 with his time of 2:07.65. 

Full results: https://milesplit.live/meets/583286/events