The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • May 29 / All MTHS AthleticsManchester Township High School - Sports Scores on hiatus until September 2024, See you next year! -

The Talon

The Talon

Have A Great Summer
Have A Great Summer
June 20, 2024

Best Local Ice Cream Spots

Image via Canva AI image generator

Sundaes The Ice Cream Place

Locations: Toms River, Manasquan, Aberdeen

Sundaes features a wide array of unique and alluring flavors such as Key Lime Pie, Mississippi Mud Pie, Robert Brownie Jr, and Samoa. Some flavors are exclusive to particular locations, however. In addition to their diverse catalog of hard ice cream flavors, Sundaes has 3 different soft ice cream options available in vanilla, vegan vanilla and chocolate, along with pineapple dole whip and your choice between orange, orange and vanilla and watermelon sherbet. If you are really looking to indulge, Sundaes holds up to their name, selling multiple delicious sundae options such as banana split, cannoli, lava cake, butter cake and waffle sundae. I have personally visited the Toms River location a few times and can confirm their ice cream is very good, and clearly many others agreed as the store was still packed at around 10:30 PM, 30 minutes before closing.

Rich’s Ice Cream

Locations: Toms River, Forked River, Manahawkin

Rich’s features 24 hard ice cream flavors, with 3 new flavors that rotate regularly. The flavors are overall pretty standard, including cookie dough, cookies and creme, cherry vanilla and coffee. The Toms River location features 9 flavors of soft ice cream: vanilla, chocolate and vanilla/chocolate swirl, and 6 other that rotate. The Forked River location, however, only has 6 soft ice cream flavors, the 3 featured in Toms River, along with another 3 that rotate. Apart from standard soft/hard ice cream, Rich’s sells handheld items such as ice cream cannolis, Richie bars, “goober” bars, richwhiches and ice cream sandwiches. They are also known for their flurries, which are ice cream blended with multiple toppings. Some flurry options include banana cream pie which comes with banana ice cream, graham crackers and mousse, black forest cake which comes with chocolate ice cream, brown bonnet, black cherries and chocolate cake crunch, and strawberry shortcake which comes with vanilla Ice Cream, strawberries, white chocolate chips, vanilla cake crunch. Rich’s is my overall favorite spot on the list

Kohr’s Frozen Custard

Locations: Seaside, Ortley, Lavalette

A Jersey Shore classic, Kohr’s has 3 locations down the Seaside boardwalk. As the name suggests, Kohr’s is best known for their custard, especially the orange vanilla swirl cone which is featured at the forefront of most locations. Apart from the orange and vanilla, Kohr’s offers a wide variety of custard options: chocolate, orange cream, strawberry, raspberry, bubblegum, butterscotch, butter pecan, cool mint, cotton candy, and black cherry. They additionally serve a standard assortment of hard ice cream and milkshake flavors such as strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, cherry vanilla and butter pecan. 

Mrs. Walker’s Ice Cream Parlor

Locations: Forked River, Toms River, Lakehurst

Mrs. Walker’s is just a short walk or drive from the school and probably the closest option for most students here at Manchester. Mrs. Walker’s sells a standard set of hard and soft ice cream flavors, ranging from the typical chocolate and vanilla to blueberry cheesecake, s’mores and cherry chocolate cordial. They sell a diverse assortment of toppings in the form of dips, fruits, nuts and candy to top your ice cream. As for specialty options, Mrs. Walkers has a hot fudge brownie and banana split sundae along with ice cream cakes and sandwiches. If ice cream is not your thing, you can cool down with one of Mrs. Walker’s 6 italian ice/sherbet flavors including mango, lemon, rainbow and blueberry.