Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania Official Trailer Breakdown and Hidden Details

This article is part of the entertainment column “The Daily Bugle” Breaking down the two minute official trailer released for the next Marvel Studios theatrical release of the Marvel movie kicking off Phase Five with the third installment in the Ant-Man trilogy. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is only in theaters February 17, 2023. “Tiny BIG things coming…” Poll included in article!! Choose your favorite Ant-Family Member.

https%3A%2F%2Fs.abcnews.com%2Fimages%2FGMA%2Fantman-1-ht-gmh-221024_1666630032080_hpMain_16x9_1600.jpg

https://s.abcnews.com/images/GMA/antman-1-ht-gmh-221024_1666630032080_hpMain_16x9_1600.jpg

Val Kohan, Editor-in-Chief/Entertainment Columnist

[insert “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” by Elton John]

Marvel Studios released the teaser trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania at this year’s summer Comic Con convention. Though Marvel only released a few trailers to the public, Quantumania was one of the many that was kept hidden from the public and only shown to attendees at the Marvel Studios panel. Many clips and information from the Comic Con trailer have been leaked, even a full length video of the entire trailer (poorly shot of course). But on October 24th, Marvel officially released the two minute trailer and teaser poster for the third Ant-Man film, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. The entire Ant-Man trilogy has been directed by Peyton Reed starting with Ant-Man back in 2015 then with its sequel in 2018, Ant-Man and the Wasp. Reed is finishing the trilogy out with Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Above was the first look at Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania during the summer Comic Con convention. Andy Park, Director of Visual Development at Marvel Studios, illustrated this poster specifically as a San Diego Comic Con exclusive. In the poster you can see Ant-Man (to the left) in a newly updated suit with The Wasp in the middle in an updated suit as well. To the right is Cassie Lang suited up in an all new purple suit as well as rocking matching Converse. In the comics, Cassie is also known as “Stature” (comic background knowledge mentioned above). The best part of this poster (and will possibly be the best part of Quantumania) is Jonathan Majors’ Kang creeping behind the Ant-Family. This may have gone past some fans but if you look closely Jonathan Majors’ Kang the Conqueror look may look oddly familiar because it is identical to his comic look between the head piece, the completely white eyes, and the most important part, the blue skin. 

Who Is Your Favorite Ant-Family Member??

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“When are you gonna come down? When are you going to land?”

The returning cast includes Paul Rudd as the title character of Scott Lang AKA Ant-Man as well as Evangeline Lilly as Hope Pym AKA The Wasp. Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfeiffer are reprising their roles as Hank Pym, who is the original Ant-Man, and Janet Van Dyne, who is also the original Wasp but during a fatal mission sacrificed herself for her husband, Hank, leaving her lost in the Quantum Realm for years up until Scott, Hank, and Hope were able to save her in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Jonathan Majors stunned fans with his unusual role in Loki as the man behind the curtain or just the man who revealed he has planned everything that has ever happened in the Infinity Saga, even scripted the story (meaning everything that has happened in any Marvel movie or project since 2008 was all part of his so-called plan). He Who Remains was just the start of Kang’s Dynasty, he even stated in Loki, “I’ll see you soon.” And guess what?? He’s back and better than ever. The Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania trailer officially introduced us all to the new baddie of the MCU, Kang the Conqueror. Some new faces are joining the MCU with Kathryn Newton taking on the role as Cassie Lang after Emma Fuhrmann (actress who portrayed Cassie in Avengers: Endgame) was recast. As seen in Avengers: Endgame, during the five years of The Blip, Cassie grew up… and Scott missed most of her childhood being stuck in the Quantum Realm for five years (but for him it felt like five hours). The Quantumania trailer revealed the first look at Bill Murray’s MCU debut as an unknown character. However, fans are speculating that he will be playing Krylar in the film (more about the obscure comic character below).

If you haven’t yet go check out the official trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (released October 24, 2022 at 12 AM) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlNFpri-Y40

THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS TIME SLOTS TO MATCH UP WITH THE TRAILER 

(trailer included above)

Hidden Details and Easter Eggs

• (0:01) “I should have stayed on the farm. I should have listened to my old man.” The starts off with a beautiful shot of the skyline of San Francisco, which is where Scott lives. But more importantly the trailer perfectly plays Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”. The MCU has long been using classic songs and ballads. Particularly in trailers, like “A Man Without Love” (from Moon Knight), “Twilight Time” (from the WandaVision trailer), “Daydream Believer” (from WandaVision), “If You Love Me (Really Love Me)” (from Loki), “The End of the World” (from The Eternals), one of the most important aspects from Steve Roger’s arc was his a Peggy’s song, and “It’s Been A Long, Long Time” (most famously plays at the end of Avengers: Endgame). How can we forget about The Guardian of the Galaxy perfect use of 70s and 80s songs throughout the movies creating one of the some of the most perfect the soundtracks with songs like “Come and Get Your Love”, “Escape (The Pina Colada Song)”, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” (which we all know how Sam Wilson feels about Marvin Gaye), “Mr. Blue Sky”, “The Chain”, and most recently in the unreleased Comic Con teaser, “Do You Realize”. Like most songs used in Marvel movies, “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” fits perfectly in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania on a “thematic level”. The song is of course a nod to Dorthy’s experience in The Wizard of Oz. Initially this song is about some being damaged by their own success and career and have to emerge back to their roots to feel whole again. This is similar to the rumored plot of Quantumania where Scott Lang (as seen in the trailer) is becoming more and more famous due to the events that took place in Avengers: Endgame and his fame and success is spoiling his relationship with Cassie. From the trailer it looks like Scott (similar to Dorthy) and everyone (Hank, Janet, Hope, and Cassie) will be stranded in the Quantum Realm. The mysterious place they all land in seems to be a reminagized version of the Micro-Verse (seen in “The Incredible Hulk” comic issue #156) but will blend the MCU Concept and comic book idea together. Many are comparing Kang the Conqueror (Jonathan Majors) to the Great and Powerful Oz himself (from The Wizard of Oz) as he offers Scott and everyone a way back home but will likely cost them or he’ll want a favor in return. Screen Rant perfectly explained that, “It is even possible that, like Oz, this variant of Kang the Conqueror has been trapped in the Quantum Realm; Ant-Man’s escape attempt could help Kang free himself.” Meaning Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania will most likely tie into the events or even be the beginning of the start for Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. “So goodbye yellow brick road.”
  • (0:07) “Baskin Robbins always finds out.” It’s hard to forget where Scott Lang started out… Specifically working at Baskin Robbins in the first Ant-Man film. GameSpot hilariously pointed out that this “is definitely just some creative product placement on Disney’s part, but it’s also paying off a great running gag.” In the trailer Scott is back at Baskin Robbins but this time receiving the “Employee of the Century” award and everything even though he was fired back in Ant-Man. But hey at least he got one of those Mango Fruit Blasts off the record and then you know became a superhero and all. Scott’s old manager, Dale, is even at the ribbon ceremony at the Baskin Robbins. 
  • (0:12) “I used to ask myself a lot of questions. Scott, you’re an ex-con… How are you an Avenger?” Scott is officially a “celebrity” in the Quantumania trailer. Though we have seen bits and pieces of his so-called celebrity life in other MCU projects, most notably in Avengers: Endgame when Scott, Steve, and Natasha are having lunch with Bruce/Smart Hulk. After some fans take a picture with the Hulk, Scott asks, “Did you want to grab one with me? I’m Ant-Man. They’re Hulk fans. They don’t know Ant-Man. Nobody does.” As seen in the trailer much has changed in Scott’s life from Endgame to Quantumania. His budding stardom is possibly from his new career as a writer/autobiographer based on the teaser from Comic Con. In the teaser from Comic Con fans saw a clip of Scott reading an excerpt to an audience of his autobiography titled, “Look Out For the Little Guy”. 
  • Fans had some questionable comments about Hope Pym’s office bob haircut in the first Ant-Man which then turned to a long haired ponytail in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Most of her hair is chopped off into a pixie cut which is identical to Janet Van Dyne’s iconic comic hair. 
  • (0:09) “That doesn’t make sense.” Scott high fives a kid with an Ant-Man backpack which was an actual backpack for sale during the release of the first Ant-Man film back in 2015.  
  • (0:15) “But everywhere I go, people tell me the same thing…” “Thank you, Spider-Man.” Fans are absolutely going crazy since in the trailer a cafe owner calls Ant-Man, Spider-Man, which is an honest mistake since they are both insect based names. Even Bruce Banner, possibly one of the smartest Marvel characters of them all, was quite surprised when he found out, “There’s an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man?” 
  • (0:19) Fans were first introduced to Cassie Lang back in 2015 along with the rest of the Ant-Man characters like Hope and Hank. But fans have literally seen her grow up, the character went from being played by Abby Ryder Fortson in Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp to growing up during The Blip in Avengers: Endgame where Cassie was portrayed by Emma Fuhrmann. Cassie has been officially recast (once again) being played by Kathryn Newton in Quantumania and probably other future MCU projects like Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars meaning Scott will probably pass the torch to Cassie being the hero, which she goes by “Stature” in the comics. Once again all of Marvel projects in Phase Four have been setting up the new generation of Avengers and even teasing the Young Avengers with Kate Bishop (Hawkeye), Elijah Bradley/Patriot (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier), Tommy/Wiccan and Billy/Speed (WandaVision), America Chavez/Ms. America (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness), Kid Loki (Loki), either Harley Keener (introduced in Iron Man 3 and was most recently cameoed in Avengers: Endgame at Tony Stark’s funeral) or Nathaniel Richards (most possibly will be a Kang Variant who was introduced in Loki) can take the mantle of Iron Lad, Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel (Ms. Marvel), and Riri Williams/IronHeart (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever). From the trailer Cassie is obviously inventing dangerous things saying, “People still need help, Dad. That’s why we made this. It’s like a satellite for deep space, but Quantum!” 
  • (0:27) Things go south very quickly due to Cassie’s Quantum device. Janet says, “Wait, wait a minute. You’re sending a signal down to the Quantum Realm? Turn it off, now!!” Janet anticipating something bad will happen but is too late as Scott, Cassie, Hope, Hank, and Janet are all sucked into whatever the Quantum device is connected to and who knows where in the Quantum Realm they will end up. Janet spent a considerable amount of time in the Quantum Realm from when Hope was a little kid to the events of Ant-Man and the Wasp. Fans can’t also forget that Scott spent almost five years of The Blip there as well so there is a good chance fans will learn more about both of their time there.
  • (1:04) It’s quite difficult to see and tell who all the Quantum Residents are. The Direct said, “This secret universe is scattered with unique landscapes, monstrous creatures, a bar, and a gang of seeming enemies looking to start trouble. These characters will surely be side-mission obstacles for the heroes and a great opportunity for action scenes.” Once again the main villain of the movie is Kang or at least a Variant of him (possibly even Nathaniel Richards since that is what Jonathan Majors has been listed as in some castings). This being said, just because Kang will be behind most of this as he was the man behind the curtains for the entire Infinity Saga, Scott and everyone will definitely face other obstacles while being in such a strange land.
  • (1:14) Janet says, “It’s a secret universe beneath ours.” Hope then asks (possibly in a different scene), “What are you so afraid of?” Janet replies, “There’s something I never told you.” There’s a good chance this movie will definitely touch base on what Janet was up to during her time in the Quantum Realm. It’s pretty obvious that what Janet is telling us has something to do with Kang. 
  • (1:25) Fans can see a masked hand place an orb in a gold machine. This machine could be the MCU’s “Heart of Forever” which is a device powered by an orb that gives Kang the ability to not only power and control Chronopolis but also travel across time which also explains why he has so many Variants. In the teaser shown at Comic Con it was revealed that something important has been stolen from Kang and if Scott helps him get it back, he’ll send them all home. Though it is not the main focus of the shot, fans get a quick glimpse of Kang’s green and purple comic accurate suit with matching gloves. It also doesn’t help that when this is shown Janet says, “There’s something I never told you.” So we can all assume she knows a thing or two about Kang and may have even come face to face with him in her years and almost decades in the Quantum Realm. 
  • (1:27) “This place… it isn’t what you think.” This is probably the most important easter egg in the entire trailer since Shang Chi’s Ten Rings (from Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings) and Kamala Khan’s Bangles are going to be the largest part of the Multiverse Saga. In this specific shot of Kang’s home, Chronopolis (from the comics) which was actually revealed in episode six of Loki. Large rings can be seen formed around buildings while Kang makes his grand entrance. Visually the ring-like objects look very similar to the rings/bracelets used in The Eternals, Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings, and Ms. Marvel. The Direct mentioned, “He Who Remains, explained how the Multiverse was discovered using rings to visualize the universes on top of one another.” In the credit scene of Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings, Shang says that his father, Wen-Wu, had the Rings for “about a thousand years.” Bruce then replies, “Their thermoluminescence indicates they’re older than that. By a lot.” It was then revealed that there is a beacon in the Rings sending a message. To where? That’s unknown… but not for long. 
  • (1:36) “Oh, I’ve finally decided my future lies beyond the yellow brick road.” Fans get another quick glimpse of Jonathan Majors’ suited up as Kang with the long green tunic and purple armoring surrounding it as well as his purple head piece. What’s even more important is that his skin appears to be blue just like the comics. 
  • (1:44) It has been rumored for some time now that Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day star, Bill Murray would be joining the MCU. It was seemingly confirmed during this year’s summer Comic Con convention when attendees at the Marvel Studios panel were shown an exclusive look at the first footage seen of Quantumania with the first trailer (still yet shown to the public but there have been video leaks online of some footage Marvel has kept hidden from the public). In the first look at Comic Con Bill Murray was seen and it was announced that he will be in the film. Marvel revealed the first look at him in the official trailer (released October 24th) where we get a glimpse of him, possibly in the Quantum Realm. Though not much has been released about Murray’s role in the MCU which Marvel probably kept a secret for a reason. It has been rumored that Murray will portray the obscure Marvel comic character of Krylar. This is of course making fans scratch their heads since there is little background knowledge or even anything known of the character. He is relatively unknown and isn’t even an Ant-Man character. Krylar has only appear in one comic issue from 1972, The Incredible Hulk #156. CBR said that that issue was “the only time readers would have come across the character, considering he is killed in the same issue he is introduced.” In this comic issue Bruce Banner travels through the multiverse (in the 70s it was called the “Micro-Verse”) in which he lands on a planet called, K’ai. While on the planet Bruce becomes the Professor Hulk (which was first introduced in the MCU in Avengers: Endgame where Bruce spent, “Eighteen months in the gamma lab; I put the brains and the brawn together… and now, look at me. Best of both worlds.”) If fans don’t remember or ones who don’t know, Professor Hulk is when he has Bruce Banner’s consciousness (his brain) while he takes hold of the Hulk’s body (the brawn). Hulk must then visit Visis where readers are introduced to Krylar, who is a “subservient scientist to the crazed warlord”. Fans are a bit confused that Marvel would add such an insignificant Incredible Hulk minor character to a big blockbuster Ant-Man film (possibly the final Ant-Man film in a while since it is the last of the trilogy). I [Val Kohan] personally believe this is encouraging since Marvel writers and creators follow the comics religiously since they are so dedicated to their sources. But having such a minor character in the MCU which let’s all be real tends to be overdramatic, the storyline and character arc possibilities are endless. Having an A-List celebrity like Bill Murray rumored to be a character like this only proves even further there is so much artistic freedom to make this character be specifically for the MCU. CBR even stated that, “Krylar could be a throw-away character Scott, Hope, and Cassie meet along the way or a pivotal inventor who helps them get home.” Based on the teaser trailer leaked from Comic Con there is also a good chance that Bill Murray’s character has had a run in with Janet (Michelle Pfeiffer) in the past during her long abandonment in the Quantum Realm. Regardless of the character Murray will be playing, it will be a joy to watch to have such a big name comedian in the MCU. The Direct says, “He will appear as a friend (likely of Janet Van Dyne) and suddenly become a problem when trusted.”
  • (1:45) Once again it is believed that Kang is residing in Chronopolis which is Kang’s home in the comics and was actually revealed in episode six of Loki. The Direct states, “It [Chronopolis] could also be the city briefly shown in Ant-Man and The Wasp”. 
  • (1:54) Cassie Lang suits up as yet another member of the Ant-Family. She can be seen suited up in an all new purple suit as well as rocking matching Converse in her “Stature” suit. But who is this “Stature” being mentioned? Though Cassie Lang has been around since 1979, she didn’t appear as Stature almost twenty six years later in an issue in 2005. In the comics, Cassie takes on being a superhero after her father’s death. She then runs away to join the Young Avengers where on her journeys she runs into Kate Bishop where the two go to the Avengers Mansion. A big argument and conflict breaks out resulting in Cassie growing uncontrollably which then lets her secret slip out that she has actually secretly been taking Pym particles. After this instance, Cassie’s first mission is when Kang the Conqueror attacks the Mansion. This is when she decided to take up the name “Stature”. Marvel will of course take inspiration from this storyline as they always do somewhat follow the comics. Fans absolutely love the accuracy between the comics and the cinematic universe since in the comics Cassie’s first battle is against Kang and based on all the information leaked about Quantumania the same will go for the MCU version of Cassie. 
  • (1:56) Fans get another quick glimpse of Jonathan Majors’ suited up as Kang with the long green tunic and purple armoring surrounding it as well as his purple head piece. What’s even more important is that his skin appears to be blue just like the comics. 
Still from Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania trailer of Jonathan Majors’ comic accurate Kang the Conqueror look with the long green tunic and purple armoring including the head piece. His skin appears to be blue just like the comics but this can just be apart of the mask.
  • (2:00) While Kang is walking up to Scott, his reflection in the floor is seemingly in his comic accurate form with the purple headpiece and blue skin.
  • (2:05) “I can get you home… and give you more time… if you help me. So, what’s it gonna be… Ant-Man?” The final shot of the trailer shows the best look at Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror. There is a good chance Kang is holding them hostage, bargaining with Scott since something has been stolen from him and if Scott helps him get it back, he’ll send them all home (all based on the Comic Con leak). But in this footage Kang seems to be offering more… “more time…” This is of course an issue with Scott since he missed Cassie growing up… and Scott missed most of her childhood being stuck in the Quantum Realm for five years during The Blip. The scars on Kang’s face replicate his blue skin in the comics. Which The Direct says, “brings a very intimidating presence to this already very intimidating character.

“I can get you home… and give you more time… if you help me. So, what’s it gonna be… Ant-Man?” Still from Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania of Jonathan Majors’ Kang. The scars on Kang’s face replicate his blue skin in the comics.
  • He Who Remains from Loki is nothing compared to the Kang(s) we will be getting in future Marvel projects. He Who Remains was just so over everything and just this charismatic hermit. I mean he even told the audience, “If you think I am evil, wait until you meet my variants.” Can we all just take a moment and appreciate Jonathan Majors as the next baddie, Kang. Comparing the two major villains of the MCU, Kang and Thanos. Kang is much more likable due to his charisma. 
Still from the Loki season one finale of the reveal of He Who Remains. “If you think I am evil, wait until you meet my variants.”
  • This wasn’t shown in the official trailer but was seen in the Comic Con teaser. I’m only bringing this up because I’m highly anticipating this scene. As Kang is approaching Ant-Man, Scott tells him he shouldn’t attack him since he’s an Avenger. Kang says, “You’re an Avenger… Have I killed you before? They all blur together…”

“If you think I am evil, wait until you meet my variants.”

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania exclusively in theaters February 17th, 2023!!

Above is the official poster for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania released simultaneously with the trailer release. In the poster you can see Jonathan Majors suited up as Kang the Conqueror. The scars on his face are clearer on the poster. The scars on Kang’s face replicate his blue skin in the comics. Kang can be seen holding two miniscule beings in his hand. If you zoom in close enough Ant-Man is on the left where Wasp is on the right side. They are distinct from their suit colors, Ant-Man in red where Wasp is in yellow. Some speculated it was Cassie on the poster but as seen in the trailers (and teaser poster above) her suit is purple.