Q & A: MTHS Drama Club Presents The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical With Anthony Raimondi

Get the inside scoop of Camp Half-Blood with Percy Jackson himself, in a one-on-one interview with Anthony Raimondi.

by Val Kohan

Val Kohan, Editor-in-Chief/Entertainment Columnist

Though everyone is still prepping and working hard on the production of this year’s show, The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical, Senior Drama Club member, Anthony Raimondi couldn’t hold back his excitement about taking the stage for his final show as the main title character of Percy Jackson. With only one year of experience prior to landing the lead role, how does Anthony plan to make his senior show memorable?? 

Q: You haven’t been in the Drama Club too long?? I believe you have only been in Drama one year prior to this, meaning High School Musical was your first show. What was your main motivation to join Drama?? What drew you into the arts?? 

A: So, I was sitting at lunch one day and, now a good friend of mine, Chris Pasos (Class of 2022 Alumni), came up to one of my friends sitting next to me and started talking about last year’s Drama show, High School Musical. He went on to say how the club did not have enough people. I interrupted and told him, “I’ll try it”. Not even five minutes later, I was in Mr. Weaver’s classroom testing my vocal range to see what I could do for the show… and the rest is history. I fell in love with Drama and acting, now in which I hope to pursue it for a career when I’m older.

Q: You were a fan favorite last year in High School Musical, a scene stealer some may say. With only one year of experience under your belt, were you at all intimidated to audition for the lead?? 

A: For me, personally, I was never intimidated by auditioning for the lead role this year, or my supporting role last year. Being in front of people and performing with my talent is why I fell in love with the arts in the first place, so no, I am never really scared or intimidated on the stage.

Q: Percy Jackson isn’t a very popular, well known show compared to High School Musical, did you have prior knowledge of the stage show, book series, or movies beforehand?? With a new Disney+ show coming out, do you think this is the best time to put on Percy Jackson?? 

A: Percy Jackson is most definitely an odd show to be doing compared to previous shows in the past like High School Musical, however I still think it’s a good choice and the right time. I’ve watched the movies, which are amazing, and read the first book (The Lightning Thief). The show involves a lot of unique things like stage combat and good strong vocals, which is a great thing to come and watch. I don’t think a new Disney+ show will have much effect on the people coming, if it has any effect I feel it may bring more people in because it kind of falls in that Disney category, and that’s what people will have their minds on.

Q: With only one year of experience, how did you land the lead your senior year?? It’s quite impressive. You are Percy Jackson, the main title character, how do you feel about that?? Does that intimidate you or do you feel comfortable performing on stage?? 

A: I guess the way I was able to land the lead role was by doing what I love and what I’m good at, which is singing and acting. It feels amazing and it’s so exciting envisioning what the show will be like and the reaction of the crowd to me on March 10th and 11th. I don’t feel intimidated or very nervous at all, while of course there’s always those nervous feelings the day before a show or right before you walk out on stage, I am mainly only filled with excitement.

Q: What was your reaction to finding out you got cast as Percy?? Are you taking any inspiration from the books or the movies on how you plan to portray him?? Or are you going straight from the script?? 

A: My reaction to getting the lead role was obviously ecstatic. However, it also comes with the realization that it’s now the time to start beginning lots of hard work on memorizing lines, choreo, fight sequences, etc. It’s a big responsibility, but I’m meant for it. I plan on making my character, Percy, seem like a stupidly innocent boy who’s very ironically funny, however, who can also be an unstoppable force when made angry.

Q: Is there anything you would like to tease about the show to draw in crowds?? Anything you can leak about the show?? 

A: I can tease the fact that one thing people are gonna want to see is how Percy goes from the kid being thrown around (literally) to the kid people look up to. It’s a dramatic show that can take you on a roller coaster, but I’m also putting a lot of comedic relief on top of that too to have the perfect balance that people would want to experience. 

Q: And finally, is there anything else you like to put out there?? Promote the show?? Or send a message about the Drama Club??

A: Pop out to the show on March 10th, and 11th, I’m gonna sing, fight, and dance my heart out for my people and for Manchester. I am Percy Jackson after all. 

Go Support the Drama Club and Anthony in The Lightning Thief with shows on March 10th and 11th!!