Baseball Ready to Score

Colin McAllister, Sports Writer

The Hawks Nest has been quiet the beginning of the spring season, with it starting 2 weeks later than usual. However, that got the players more amped up for the start of this season!

On March 31, the Shore Sports Network dropped their 2023 B South preview.  They predicted Manchester to come last in their division. The players want to and will prove the doubters wrong. 

Last season the Hawks finished with a record 10-15-1, which was below expectations after coming off a Group 2 Sectional Championship in 2021. Multiple players were on that winning team and had higher hopes for what the team accomplished last season. That sour taste in their mouth made them work hard all offseason with the goal of redeeming themselves this season. As they look to bounce back, the competition may be tough but these guys are up for the challenge. 

The Hawks season is underway and they are ready. After losing many starters that graduated in 2022, the young players look to make a huge impact in the lineup this season. Joe Bentivegna, Colton Sitarik, and Evan Palmer are the three underclass returning starters. AJ Ramirez, Joe Sclama, Frank Kern, and Joe Inkrote are the four returning starting seniors who look to pave the way for the younger players and lead by example. Ramirez is committed to play baseball at Elmira College, Sclama is committed to play baseball at Stockton University and Kern is committed to play at Muhlenberg College. 

Most of these players have lots of experience in late state playoff runs with the team and have one goal, to get back there. Head Coach Beauchemin also expressed his goals for this season being, “winning B-South, home game in Ocean County Tournament, qualify for Shore Conference Tournament, and win South Jersey Group 2.” It will take hardwork and perseverance to accomplish these goals, but this is the squad to do it.

The team is not headlined by any standout player but Coach Beauchemin explained this as a good thing. “We need the whole team to win and be great, everyone has to do their part,” he said. Beauchemin doesn’t name any team captains and, “expects that every player should carry themselves as captains and try to be that guy to step up into that role.” This is a huge aspect to their team, it keeps each player pushing forward to become that main leader that everyone looks up to. On and off the field players have to be on their A game, it gives them a reason to show up and give it 110% day in and day out.

There is something special about this team so catch the Hawks in action sometime this season at Manchester Township High School, you won’t want to miss the action!

Returning Starters:

AJ Ramirez- Second Base

Joe Sclama- Pitcher and First Base

Frank Kern- Pitcher

Joe Inkrote- Pitcher, Third Base, and Pitcher

Evan Palmer- Right Field and Catcher

Joe Bentivegna- Shortstop

Colton Sitarik- Catcher

Coaches:

Varsity- Coach Beauchemin and Coach Holzer

JV- Coach Schmidt

Freshman- Coach Stratton

**Due to where Spring Break fell this year and our final yearbook deadline, all sport preview articles were delayed in publishing. We apologize for the hold up. – Editorial Staff**