The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

Devyn Quigley- Soon Ready to Leave the Hawk’s Nest and Join the Wolfpack

Senior Devyn Quigley signed with NC State last week and is ready to step back onto the basketball courts for her final season before playing D1.
Image found from Twitter NC State WBB 🐺🏀 on X: “Running with the wolves 🐺 Welcome to the Pack, @devynquigley! https://t.co/PgaxCUV3tZ” / X

On November 9, 2023, a senior superstar who dominates on the Manchester Township High School basketball courts, Devyn Quigley recently signed with the NC State Women’s Basketball team, officially joining their wolf pack. 

Quigley was the first from the class of 2024 to verbally commit to the school’s women’s basketball team, made back in September via her Instagram.

The 5-11 star will go on to join newly committed Lorena Awou and Zamareya Jones on the court, alongside future commits yet to come as this upcoming season, 2023-2024, will be a goodbye to 11 of NC State’s prominent players. 

Ranked No. 47 in the country, Quigley had a major decision to make choosing between other D1 schools such as the University of Wisconsin and Rutgers, located in her home state of New Jersey. 

With multiple options, Quigley made sure to consider factors other than athletics, stating, “When choosing my school I had to first factor everything that had to do with basketball out as if I was going to the school as just a student. NC State had multiple familiar places surrounding it and being in that environment reminded me of home.”

Goal-oriented from a young age, Devyn knew she wanted to continue playing basketball on a college level along with pursuing her love of animals and science. Through NC State, Quigley will be able to accomplish both dreams, not only being a player on the courts but also going into the classroom intending to major in Animal Science or Biology. NC has a very distinguishable institution for this major as Quigley describes:

“NC State has an amazing animal science/ vet school so this is an even bigger plus of my commitment here” and “Ever since I was old enough to understand what college was and how you can play a sport in college this has been the goal and seeing my dreams unfold has overall been a true blessing.”

Regarding her passion for basketball, NC State greatly offered a welcoming environment toward her aspirations and place on the team. 

Compared to the other schools State definitely has the biggest support system for their women’s basketball team even more so than the boys team and that really says something.”

Together, the aspects and environment NC State encourages, both on the courts and in the classroom, was a significant win-win for Devyn and her final decision.

Back at Manchester Township High School, Quigley recently wrapped her fourth and final season of girls’ volleyball and is now getting ready to rejoin her high school team and head coach David Beauchemin for one last season, both with long-term and short goals in mind.

With the recent change of combining divisions, the girls hope to take on winning both A South and B South whilst striving to take home a 2023-2024 South Jersey Group 2 Girls Basketball Championship plaque, a long yet honorable title. 

With a momentous season ahead, the girls must take it one game at a time and work together to get as many wins as possible and utilize their skills. Through her work ethic and leadership skills, Quigley will most definitely be in assistance with her team physically and mentally.

“Devyn is always in leadership mode and stands out in her way to be an extension of the coaching staff on and off the court…helpful and encouraging with her teammates at all times…leads every drill and is constantly putting in the extra work on her own, often including teammates in those additional workouts as well”

— David Beauchemin, the Manchester Township High School Girls Varsity Basketball coach

“I also want to have under 10 losses this season preferably 5 or under which will be hard but we definitely can pull it off if we work really hard and together” explains Quigley.

As for personal goals, Quigley plans to accomplish many upon her college journey including time in the weight room and increasing her range from the 3-point line. 

“College is a whole different ball game when it comes to physicality and of course the speed  and pace of the game.”

With so much more to come during her senior year, transition to NC State, and the Atlantic Coast Conference for Women’s Basketball, Quigley expresses great excitement to get started and continue her love for the game.

“Right now I am most excited about getting to campus and starting this next chapter…I am excited to have all the resources at my fingertips from basketball to school and really grow as not only an athlete but a young lady. I know it takes a lot of maturing. You must go through making that jump from highschool to college and although a bit nervous, I am extremely excited and ready to undergo these changes.”

— Devyn Quigley

Currently, with a career total of 1,679 points on her hometown team, Devyn Quigley will be a name to remember not only as a player but a leader, role model, student, and friend.

With goals already accomplished and more soon to be, Quigley will continue to do great things on and off the courts.