The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

5 Quotes To Think About Coming Into The New Year

Image created with Canva

With the new year beginning, we step into each year reminding ourselves of quotes that help us decide who we want to be. These quotes set us up for new beginnings and to conclude 2023. 

• “Celebrate endings—for they precede new beginnings.” —Jonathan Lockwood Huie

As the final seconds of the old year countdown we think about everything we’ve accomplished or what we have failed at. We realize we should be grateful for what happened this past year, because it is now leading to new beginnings. 

• “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you’re not going to stay where you are.” —J.P. Morgan

Stepping into the new year we think about things that don’t help us, that are making us unhappy. We try to come into the new year and let our old habits go. Including things that are hurting us. If we want to progress in life, we need to get rid of things that are holding us back. Toxic friendships, relationships, judgemental peers, and toxic traits. Our new year should start right. 

• “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one.” —Brad Paisley

When the new year begins a new chapter in our stories starts. It’s like buying a brand new notebook with a blank sheet of paper. We are writing our own stories. Our actions define how our year is going to play out, that is what sets us up for success or failure.

• “I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.” —Thomas Jefferson

The new year makes us think about the future. What the year holds for us. And that is so important to reflect on. What is coming next? It is so important to never dwell on the past. Because it makes us think of missed opportunities and what we could have done better, and there is now nothing we can do to change that. 

• “Life is about change, sometimes it’s painful, sometimes it’s beautiful, but most of the time it’s both.” —Kristin Kreuk

Change is what sets us up for the rest of our lives. Anything can change in the blink of an eye. Our lives are never guaranteed to be perfect. At any second the day you were going through can become different,  it can be  painful, beautiful, or both.

As we head into the new year we can think about these quotes to help shape our new year. We create all types of resolutions and think about quotes like these as we go through good times and bad times. But these kinds of quotes help us persevere through whatever is happening in our lives. And that is so important for every person.