The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

By Emily Johnson via. Canva
May at Manchester
April 29, 2024

Ravens QB Lamar Jackson wins second career NFL MVP award

Image from Baltimore Ravens Twitter 2/8/24

After leading Baltimore to the #1 seed in the AFC and the best overall record in the NFL, quarterback Lamar Jackson earned his second career MVP.

After becoming the first ever unanimous MVP winner in 2019, Lamar Jackson claimed his second MVP four years later. Other nominees included Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, 49ers running back Christian McCaffrey, and Bills quarterback Josh Allen.

Jackson recorded career highs in multiple passing statistics including yards per game, completion percentage, and yards per attempt. Lamar also led the team in rushing, with 821 yards and also tallied five rushing touchdowns to boot.  Jackson led the Ravens offense to an impressive 28.4 points per game, which was 4th in the NFL. Lamar and the Ravens also averaged over 150 rushing yards per game, by far the best in the NFL. Lamar finished the season with a passer rating of 102.7, (4th in the NFL) and threw for over 3,600 yards and 24 touchdowns. Jackson also became the first player in NFL history to have multiple seasons of at least 3,00 passing yards and 800 rushing yards.

The stats may not jump out like they did in his 2019 season, but the overall team performance was vastly impressive. Baltimore outscored opponents by a whopping 203 points this season, which was first in the NFL. Lamar and the Ravens often found themselves with the game very much in hand, leading to a slight deflation statistically for him and the offense. 

Jackson’s intentions this season weren’t only to win MVP, but to win his first Super Bowl and bring a third ring home to Baltimore. Unfortunately for Lamar, the Ravens were unable to do so, falling 17-10 to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship.

At age 27, Jackson has already joined elite company with players including Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, and a few others as the only players to ever win the MVP award at least twice during their tenure in the NFL. By winning his second MVP, Lamar Jackson has become the youngest player in NFL history to win the award multiple times since the merger.