The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

By Emily Johnson via. Canva
May at Manchester
April 29, 2024

Seton Hall wins NIT Tournament in dramatic fashion

Image from Seton Hall Men’s Basketball Twitter 4/4/24

This compelling title game turned out to be exactly as advertised, a clash of two teams that were undoubtedly snubbed from the NCAA Tournament. The matchup between Seton Hall and Indiana State proved to be an absolute thriller, as it became the most viewed NIT Final game since 2010. 

The captivating final was a back and forth game as it had a total of 17 lead changes throughout. After being down by seven points with about three minutes to play, a tremendous 9-0 run by the Hall triumphed them to a 79-77 win. Senior forward Dre Davis hit the go-ahead layup with 16 seconds left, driving past three defenders to do so.

Despite a crowd that was mostly packed with Indiana State supporters, Seton Hall wasn’t fazed and managed to win their first NIT trophy since 1953. The Hall concluded an unforgettable season, finishing 4th in the Big East with a conference record of 13-7 and an overall record of 25-12. This marks just their fifth time in program history that the Hall recorded 25-plus wins in a season. As for Indiana State, the Sycamores finished their campaign with an impressive record of 32-7. Both teams played a fantastic brand of basketball throughout the tournament and gained plenty of national attention from the sports world.

Although Seton Hall did win the NIT, it does not erase the sting of missing the NCAA Tournament. The Hall deserved a bid for its performance during the season, which included a 15-point win over the NCAA Tournament favorite UConn Huskies. Like plenty of other bubble teams that did not make the tournament, Seton Hall could have simply declined the NIT invite. Programs such as Indiana, Pittsburgh, St. John’s, and Memphis rejected their invitation to the tournament, stating that they either needed to focus on the transfer portal or that it was not in the best interest of their student athletes to participate in the NIT.

Although many bubble teams declined their invitation, Seton Hall wanted to play. Pirates coach Shaheen Holloway left the decision up to his seniors, who unanimously chose to play more basketball. In a press conference, coach Holloway stated “If you guys saw the look on these guys’ faces when we didn’t make the tournament, and as their leader, not knowing what to say to them, it was the worst feeling in the world. Going from that to getting drenched by those guys in the locker room, it’s the best feeling in the world.” The Hall didn’t want their season to end with a disappointing NCAA snub, and ended up getting a heck of a consolation prize.