The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

Knicks outlast 76ers 118-115 to advance to Eastern Conference semis

Image from New York Knicks Twitter 5/2/24

The New York Knicks defeated the Philadelphia 76ers 118-115 Thursday night to punch their ticket to the Eastern Conference semifinals. It was a fitting end to a chaotic back-and-forth series. Jalen Brunson shined yet again for the Knicks in Game 6, putting up 41 points and 12 assists. Brunson made many clutch shots along the way, but perhaps the most clutch shot of the night came from his Villanova teammate Josh Hart, who drilled a 3-pointer with 24 seconds left. This put the Knicks up by three points and ended up being the game-winner for New York.

Despite the loss, Joel Embiid had another dominating stat line for the 76ers, scoring 39 points with 13 rebounds. Other top scorers included Buddy Hield and Kelly Oubre who combined for 36 points. After his heroics in Game 5, Tyrese Maxey had a underwhelming night, scoring only 17 points.

The Knicks came out firing, getting out to a 22-point lead early on. This lead was quickly erased before halftime after Buddy Hield had drained five threes in the second quarter. The Knicks then led 109-101 with three minutes left in the game, but the 76ers rallied back yet again to tie the game after Tyrese Maxey scored on a drive layup and-1. But with 26 seconds remaining, Josh Hart drilled a 27 footer to take the lead and eventually win the game for New York.

This marks yet another playoff loss for Joel Embiid and the 76ers, a familiar scene year-after-year. It has been about 41 years since the 76er’s have won a championship, and the clock is ticking as Joel Embiid’s prime years are dwindling. As for the Knicks, they will look to keep it rolling as they are set to face Tyrese Haliburton and the six-seeded Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference semifinals.