The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

Cubs’ Shota Imanaga continues to dominate

Image from Chicago Cubs Twitter 5/7/24

The lefty out of Japan, who signed a four-year, $53 million deal with the Chicago Cubs during the offseason, has taken the MLB by storm. Imanaga, who owns a 5-0 record across his first seven starts, leads all qualified starters with a 1.08 ERA across 41.2 innings as well as 43 strikeouts. 

With his extraordinary start to his Major league career, Imanaga finds himself in some elite company. Imanaga has become the first pitcher in Major League history since 1901 to go at least 4-0 with an ERA below 1.00 in his first five starts. Additionally, Imanaga has posted the 4th lowest ERA in MLB history out of any starting pitcher in their first six starts. Shota, with a 0.78 ERA, is behind only Bob Shawkey (0.75 ERA), Dave Ferriss (0.50 ERA), and Fernando Valenzuela (0.33 ERA).

“He has exceeded expectations because anybody who pitches like that would exceed your expectations,” Cubs manager Craig Counsell said. “He’s pitched incredibly, incredibly well. He’s got his career off to a great start and it’s been fun to watch.” The rest of the Cubs’ rotation has seemed to have taken after Imanaga’s early brilliance, with Jameson Taillon and Javier Assad also both having extraordinary starts to their seasons.

The 30-year old Shota Imanaga certainly looks like the signing of the offseason and is a vital reason why the Cubs are 24-17 and second place in the NL Central division. The National League Rookie of the month will look to continue his stellar debut season tonight where he will take the mound against Marcell Ozuna and the Atlanta Braves.