The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

By Emily Johnson via. Canva
May at Manchester
April 29, 2024

Twirl Into Coquette Fashion!

Twirl Into Coquette Fashion!

The Coquette fashion emphasizes looking innocent in an elegant and dainty way and embraces everything romantic and feminine. 

The fashion originated around the mid-2010s and is sourced from Tumbler. Women wanted to look like the persona of a nymphet, which is an attractive girl or young woman. This term is taken from a novel written by Vladimir Nabokov. The novel, Lolita, is about an older man lusting after a twelve-year-old girl, fully believing that she wants him back. Women did not like how the novel sexualized a young girl but did like how she dressed and thus Coquette was born. Not only did the fashion come from the novel, but also it took some inspiration from Japanese Lolita fashion. Also, the singer, Lana Del Ray, is the one who is credited with helping expand this fashion, by using her musical lyrics from one of her most popular albums, Born to Die, which debuted in 2012. Born to Die was Del Ray’s sophomore album and was fifth place in the global-best-selling album of 2012, selling over 3.4 million copies in that year. The album only elevated the fashion but did not invent it. 

People often mistake this fashion trend with the soft-girl look, which is a little similar. The difference between this is the lifestyle since Coquette is based on clothing and the slow lifestyle and the soft-girl look is just a fashion look. 

There are tons of subcategories on the Coquette fashion as it is hard to group them under a singular category. These subcategories all differ in their way but also have similarities as well. These categories include Nymphet, Dark Nymphete, Dollette, Farmer’s Daughter, Key West Kitten, Winter Fairy Coquette, Gloomy Coquette, and Bubblegum Coquette. 

The Coquette Sub-Genres
Nymphet
Nymphet

Despite the problematic origins of Nymphet, also called Vintage Americana Coquette, it still thrived. This subgenre has feminity and tragedy surrounding it. As stated above, Born to Die, was one of the main inspirations. The fashion part is mostly a 1950s theme since Lolita took place in that decade. Things like the color red, lace, bows, fun sunglasses, cherries, pearls, Coca-Cola, Converse, coffee, red lipstick, and heart lockets are huge in this sub-genre.

Dark Nymphet
Dark Nymphet

Similar to the Nymphet, this one is based on the 1950s and 1960s, except adds a little Victorian and vampirism. This sub-genre tries to embody mystery, beauty, and darkness. It includes cocktail dresses, even gowns, pencil dresses, lacey socks, black Converse or any black shoe, and heels. Things like furs, lace, pearls, silver jewelry, veiled hats, ruffles, and bows can be used to finish off the look you are trying to achieve. Some icons that help inspire this look are Marilyn Monroe, Angelina Jolie, and Mary Astor.

Dollette
Dollette

This sub-genre is based on what comes up when you search for Coquette on Pinterest. Unlike the other sub-genres, this one is one of the most recent ones, becoming popular in the 2020s. This sub-genre is based on hyperfemininity and is very fashion-involved. Things associated with this are ballet, flowers, and lots of pinks. This is what comes to mind when people think of coquette. This sub-genre embraces charm and a slight flirtatious allure. This one has a blend of multiple historical eras, but the two most apparent are the playful silhouettes of the 1950s and the Victorian age. You want to look like Lottie from Princess and the Frog. Things like high-waisted skirts, ballet shoes,  and blouses with lace or ribbon detail are big. As well as pearl necklaces and dainty, elegant handbags. Basically, anything feminine and pink will do for this kind of look. The main inspiration for this look is Audrey Hepburn as her style and grace are what suit this.

Farmers Daughter
Farmer's Daughter

This variation of the Coquette fashion revolves around the life of a daughter on a rural farm. The only similarities with the other sub-genres is that it still embraces femininity. And similarly to the Dollette look, this look also comes from Pintrest and TikTok. Things like cowboy boots, anything red, white and blue colored, cowboy hats, white dresses, gingham prints, camoflauge printged, and ruffled socks can be used. Accessory wise, anything could work for this look.

Key West Kitten
Key West Kitten

This sub-genre is best for this who love bright and fun colored outfits and love anything tropical. This look takes inspiration from 1960s to the 2000s and typically taken from Flordia. Another name for this is Coconut Girl, and people who wear this fashion are called Malibu Barbie. It embraces the idea of youth and femininity during a vacations. Things like tank tops, skirts, sandals, flip flops, flowers, sunglasses, rollar skates, sea shells in bright colors can help you achieve this look.

Winter Fairy Coquette
Winter Fairy Coquette

This aesthetic is a mixture of coquette and the fairy core. Since the two are very different in styles, they vary from the delicate and elegant look of the coquette to the harsh textures of the fairly core. Things like furs, hats, ear muffs, boots, leg warmers, and tights in the colors white, beige, light brown, and some dark colors can help make this look.

Gloomy Coquette
Gloomy Coquette

This look is like the Dollette look, but a little gloomier. It still uses light pinks and a very feminine look, except in some grey tones. Everything stated above for Dollette is still applicable to this genre.

Bubblegum Coquette
Bubblegum Coquette

This genre is a blend of Dollette, Key West Kitten, and Kawaii. This aesthetic is full of bright and fun colors. It is centered around the nostalgic 2000s childhood, with cotton candy, bows, rainbows, lollipops, roller skates, and pastries.  Anything that reminds you of your childhood and things in bright colors can be used for this look.