Netflix’s Marvel’s The Defenders Saga Has a New Home on Disney+ Ft. DareDevil (Pt. 1)

This article is part of the entertainment column “The Daily Bugle” DareDevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and other successful Netflix Marvel shows have shifted from Netflix to their new streaming home of Disney+. The Defenders Saga is officially canonized and fans are wondering if after Charlie Cox’s cameo in Spider-Man: No Way Home, are more to come by fellow Defenders? **Part One only talks about the “Devil of Hell’s Kitchen” himself in DareDevil.**

Val Kohan, Editor-in-Chief/Entertainment Columnist

Karen Page: “How long have you been practicing law?”

Matt Murdock: “What time is it?”

Foggy Nelson: “It’s 12:22.”

Matt Murdock: “About seven hours.”

After the success of Spider-Man: No Way Home with Charlie Cox’s cameo as the really good lawyer, Matt Murdock and the main villain of Hawkeye turning out to be Vincent D’Onofrio as the Kingpin. Making not just DareDevil canonized in the Marvel Cinematic Universe but all the other Netflix series including Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders, and The Punisher. It was recently announced that both Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio will not only be returning for the Echo series but with the surprise announcement of DareDevil: Born Again. Though DareDevil: Born Again will not release until Spring of 2024, Matt Murdock will team up with fellow lawyer, Jen Walters, in episode eight of She-Hulk: Attorney At Law, streaming on Disney+ October 6th, 2022. 

All the shows shifted to Disney+ Wednesday, March 23rd, 2022. All of the shows are rated-MA due to violence and gore, profanity, sexually explicit themes, and intense scenes. When Disney announced they were bringing the Netflix series to their family friendly streaming service this sparked controversial problems. But no need to fear, parents must know that there are extreme changes on the parental controls. In order to access any MA rated shows you must enter your Disney+ password and for more security a four number passcode.

**Please note that it is suggested by fans that all these series should be watched in a specific order since they do all connect like every other Marvel project and each show has significant impact on one another, especially DareDevil. The order release just happens to be in chronological order, the order in which they should be watched. It includes DareDevil (season one), Jessica Jones (season one), DareDevil (season two), Luke Cage (season one), Iron Fist (season one), The Defenders (limited mini series), The Punisher (season one), Jessica Jones (season two), Luke Cage (season two), Iron Fist (season two), DareDevil (season three), The Punisher (season three), and Jessica Jones (season three). 

All seasons are bingeable and streaming only on Disney+. 

This article, “Netflix’s Marvel’s The Defenders Saga Has a New Home on Disney+ Ft. DareDevil (Pt. 1)” is the first part of the Defenders Saga article series. Part one only talks about and discusses the “Devil of Hell’s Kitchen” himself in DareDevil.

DareDevil (2015-2018)

DareDevil follows the “Man Without Fear” or the “Devil of Hell’s Kitchen” AKA Daredevil trying to protect his city of Hell’s Kitchen from crime and scandal. Matt Murdock’s vigilante alter ego takes the best of him at night, but during the day he is a blind attorney-at-law or as he and Foggy likes to joke about, “avocados-at-law”. Though Matt does not have any superpowers he uses his heightened senses and abilities to his advantage becoming known to the media as the “Masked Man”. As DareDevil tries to figure out all of the rising crime cases in Hell’s Kitchen. His new law firm, Nelson and Murdock, is getting off its feet and somewhat connecting all of the clues to DareDevil’s mission. Matt and Foggy get their first client surrounding a homicide case with the only suspect at the crime scene, Karen Page. After they get her name cleared, the murder seems too suspicious to close the case. Matt gets clues closer and closer to the central link to who is controlling all the crimes in Hell’s Kitchen, the crime lord himself, Wilson Fisk AKA the Kingpin.

#SaveDareDevil

DareDevil was wrongfully canceled after only three seasons. After the announcement of the cancellation and the show not returning, this created the #SaveDareDevil campaign. Thanks to the shift to Disney+, both Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio will not only be returning for the Echo series but with the surprise announcement of DareDevil: Born Again. Though DareDevil: Born Again will not release until Spring of 2024, Matt Murdock will team up with fellow lawyer, Jen Walters, in episode eight of She-Hulk: Attorney At Law, streaming on Disney+ October 6th, 2022. Charlie Cox and Vincent D’Onofrio have officially been announced to star in the series but the rumors going around is that some of the original cast members will be returning including Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page) and Elden Henson (Foggy Nelson). Krysten Ritter was supposed to return as one of New York’s best Private Investigators, Jessica Jones, but due to scheduling conflicts Jon Bernthal is now taking her part in the series as he is rumored to cameo as Frank Castle AKA The Punisher. It is unknown at the moment if Elodie Yung will return as Matt Murdock’s love interest, Elektra. There has been talk of recasting her for DareDevil: Born Again. Rosario Dawson may have accidentally teased her role in the series as well since she recently said in an interview that her character, Claire Temple, has appeared in every Defender’s Saga series except The Punisher. She has yet to interact with Frank Castle himself, so this begs the question, will Rosario Dawson not only dominate the Star Wars franchise as Ahsoka but make her debut in the MCU?? But I think it’s safe to say that DareDevil has been saved. 

Artwork for the #SaveDareDevil campaign anticipating the shift from Netflix to Disney+. This artwork was released before DareDevil: Born Again was announced. (Artist Unknown)

Disney+ made a MAJOR mistake on their DareDevil thumbnail

Disney+ put the wrong character as DareDevil on the title page. Instead of having a picture of Matt Murdock’s alter ego as DareDevil it is actually Bullseye, one of DareDevil’s many enemies roaming Hell’s Kitchen. In season three of DareDevil Bullseye goes around pretending to be the “Man Without Fear” in full attire trying to ruin Matt’s reputation. 

Murdock “Iconic” Look Put to SHAME

A battle between the Murdocks has come to the spotlight. In an interview, Charlie Cox finally commented on Ben Affleck’s DareDevil, aka the OG DareDevil (from the 2003 film) and thought, “the suit sucks!!” Though many can agree with him about the unbearable skin tight, ultra bright red suit that does not support DareDevil’s vigilantism, fighting crime in the shadows. We all have our critical opinions on the 2003 film that has one of the most hilarious fight scenes of all time also known as the park scene, the excessive use of colored eye contacts, and of course the initial thought of having Evanescence’s “Bring Me to Life” play quite dramatically while Electra trains with sandbags and Daredevil’s iconic look as he broods on top of a cathedral. 

Still from the 2003 DareDevil film. Photographed above is Ben Affleck in full DareDevil attire.

Opinion on Matt Murdock/DareDevil 

“Yeah, well, sight is overrated.” This blind but maybe not lawyer is one of thee best Marvel characters and I will go as far to say he may be one of the best superheroes (out of any franchise) of all time!! Matt Murdock is a multi-layered, complex, developed character. Yes, Matt is a blind attorney-at-law during the day or as Foggy and he likes to joke about, “avocados-at-law”, working at Nelson and Murdock. Matt’s vigilante alter ego takes the best of him at night protecting his city of Hell’s Kitchen from crime and scandal. I’m not saying that Matt is the best character because of his powers or lack of, because guess what we’ve been there, done that with Batman and Iron Man and many other heroes. Matt is one of the most interesting heroes out there due to his internal struggles. He always questions what the right thing to do is. As a Catholic he is influenced by his religion and faith as well as his belief in the law and vigilantism. He not only questions his own beliefs but his life as “the Devil of Hell’s Kitchen or Devil Boy.” Not only is Matt reckless but he’s impulsive and with his heightened senses and abilities as well as trained skills, he can do a lot of damage with such little time. He “let’s the devil out.” Like most superheroes Matt went through a tragic origin story leading him to become DareDevil. After being exposed to radioactive substances due to a car crash, the chemicals seeped into his eyes leaving him completely blind. This traumatic experience heightened Matt’s other four senses leaving him just as capable and even more after. (COMIC STORYLINE ) After Matt’s father is killed in a fight, Matt takes his father’s old boxing robe, turning it into the first DareDevil suit that is red and yellow. He vows then to bring justice to his father. “She used to say, ‘Be careful of the Murdock boys. They got the Devil in em.’” Like I said before Matt’s religious beliefs, career, and vigilantism all clash with each other. This is perfectly shown in the very first episode of DareDevil in the first scene where Matt is doing confession with the priest and says, “I’m not seeking penance for what I’ve done, Father. I’m asking for forgiveness… for what I’m about to do.” A character is not good if they aren’t charismatic or sarcastic. Matt Murdock checks both of those boxes. He’s very flirtatious and attracts all the girls. I mean he goes from Elektra, to Karen, to Claire, back to Elektra (because he’s so strung up on her). “How long have you been practicing law?” “What time is it?” “It’s 12:22.” “About seven hours.” Since Karen Page is in the scene I just mentioned I truly believe she is an underrated character due to the love for all the other characters in DareDevil, think about it. Everyone always talks about Matt and Kingpin and Bullseye or Elektra but no one ever talks about how Karen Page is one of the most developed characters in the series. She isn’t perfect and they show that with her flaws and her making mistakes which helps a character grow. Those Mary Sue characters like Captain Marvel have no storyline or character arc to help them grow. Enough talk about Karen now, we need to talk about how good of a fighter Matt is with the whole blind thing going on. He’s such a natural fighter which is one of the main reasons I loved the DareDevil series and in this case all the other Netflix shows. Due to how natural the fights were, they were very believable, hence why it’s the street fighting style. It’s so raw between the hallway fight, the alleyway encouncounter with Kingpin, cubicle fight with Bullseye, or Matt’s final fight with Kingpin. My favorite fight from the DareDevil series is Matt’s final fight with Kingpin, hands down. Once again the fighting is so raw and Matt unleashes the devil and leaves no mercy while brutally beating Wilson to a bloody pulp. “This city rejected you! It beat you!! I BEAT YOU!!” Matt realizing he couldn’t kill Kingpin felt so real, thanks to Charlie Cox’s beyond amazing performance. Matt knows that if he kills Kingpin, which is what Wilson wants, he’ll give in to him making him win. The cinematography in this scene is perfect to say the least, with Matt back in his black suit, Wilson in his iconic complete white three piece suit, both drenched in blood. Since the fight does in fact take place in Wilson’s apartment everything is in a solid white coloring making DareDevil stand out and having blood splattered everywhere. Like I said before, one of the greatest fight scenes I’ve ever seen happens to be the The Defenders hallway fight scene. I love that four questionably “teamed” heros fight off some of the most trained members of the Hand. Sure, Danny Rand holds off a few men but let’s really appreciate who helps him out in the long run when his hand doesn’t glow… Luke Cage. I love when Jessica, Danny, and Luke are so done with fighting but then Matt, you know the weakest Defender, tells them someone else is coming. But guess who’s the only one to put up a fight against the most trained and deadly assassin?? That’s right, Matthew Michael Murdock. Does my heart break when Matt realizes it’s Elektra he’s fighting but a.) can’t see her and b.) can’t hear her heartbeat… Because Matt loves Elektra until the very end time and time again. Matt and Jess’ banter is great especially when she teases him about hiding his identity with her scarf. “Is there a plan where I get my scarf back?” How ridiculous Matt is during the entire Golden Dragon scene and how the other Defenders don’t put up with it. “Who hears neon?” “My blind-but-maybe-not lawyer.”

He’s a Really Good Lawyer

Charlie Cox’s Matt Murdock was brought back into the spotlight with his recent cameo as the really good lawyer in Spider-Man: No Way Home. To see New York’s best attorney hired by May, Happy, and Peter, I think most fans absolutely lost it in the theaters. Matt Murdock explains that no charges are being held against Peter but Happy might be held accountable for keeping Tony’s missing tech. While all of them are sitting in May and Peter’s apartment a brick goes through the window, thrown from the street saying, “Mysterio FOREVER!” Showing off his skills, Matt catches the brick directly in front of Peter’s face, Peter questions how he did that, replying, “I’m a really good lawyer.” This was absolutely one of the many highlights from No Way Home. Many fans pointed out that Jon Favreau was in the 2003 DareDevil movie alongside Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner where Favreau played Murdock’s trusty law firm partner Foggy Nelson. This cameo was just a little taste of what we’re getting of Matt. He’s not coming back for 30%… He’s coming back for everything. By everything I mean not just No Way Home, but She-Hulk, Echo, Spider-Man: Freshman Year, and DareDevil: Born Again. “They say your whole life flashes before your eyes when you die. And it’s true, even for a blind man.” 

Who’s Who in Hell’s Kitchen- The DareDevil cast includes Charlie Cox (Matt Murdock/DareDevil), Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Page), Elden Henson (Foggy Nelson), Vincent D’Onofrio (Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin), Jon Bernthal (Frank Castle/The Punisher), Wilson Bethel (Bullseye), Elodie Yung (Elektra), Rosario Dawson (Claire Temple or known as the Night Nurse), Ayelet Zurer (Vanessa Fisk), and Vondie Curtis-Hall (Ben Urich). 

“She used to say, ‘Be careful of the Murdock boys. They got the Devil in em.’” 

All three seasons of DareDevil are streaming (again)!! #SaveDareDevil

All of the promotional posters for DareDevil season two were full of Catholic imagery, mirroring paintings by artists like Caravaggio (Karen Page poster), Michelangelo (The Punisher poster), and Rubens (DareDevil poster). These promos were more like art than actual posters. Photographed above is the poster of Charlie Cox’s DareDevil. This poster mirrors Peter Paul Rubens’ painting of Saint Sebastian.