She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Seven: “The Retreat” Breakdown and Guide

This article is part of the entertainment column “The Daily Bugle” “Don’t make me angry… You wouldn’t like me angry…” As Emil Blonsky´s lawyer, Jennifer must visit his wellness retreat as she struggles with being ghosted by her recent date. While stuck at the retreat with other heroes Emil has rounded up, Jennifer discovers more about herself and her life with She-Hulk with the help of some unlikely friends.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.comicsuniverse.it%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2022%2F10%2FJen-Tells-Them-Aout-Josh.jpg%0A

https://www.comicsuniverse.it/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Jen-Tells-Them-Aout-Josh.jpg

Val Kohan, Editor-in-Chief/Entertainment Columnist

She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Seven: “The Retreat”

originally aired on September 29th, 2022.

Spoilers Ahead!

Though She-Hulk has already appeared in other animated series this is the first time She-Hulk has ever been live-action with her own solo project on Disney+. Since the Incredible Hulk is a more popular character than She-Hulk, her comic history isn’t as known. So before watching She-Hulk: Attorney At Law fans should know some basic background information on a lesser known character. The character of She-Hulk first appeared in 1980 in her own solo comic book series, She-Hulk. Jennifer Walters, our main character of the series, later transforms into the title character. Jen is just a normal lawyer, well not that normal. She is an attorney at law in Los Angeles hence the title of the Disney+ series. She first becomes She-Hulk after obtaining a dangerous injury, Jennifer gets a blood transfusion with donated blood from her cousin, Bruce Banner. Due to acquiring some of his blood, she becomes a milder version of the Hulk… AKA She-Hulk. 

(this episode runs for thirty-five minutes)

PREVIOUS ARTICLES:

Go check out the previous She-Hulk: Attorney At Law article titled, “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Series Premiere Episode One: ‘Normal Amount of Rage’ Breakdown and Guide” which shows the origin story of how Jennifer Walters, an attorney at law, was left with superpowers turning her into a Hulk!! Well… a She-Hulk. Can Jen return back to her normal life as a lawyer or will trouble find her superpowered counterpart??

https://talonnews.org/1047/entertainment/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-series-premiere-episode-one-normal-amount-of-rage-breakdown-and-guide/

Go check out the previous She-Hulk: Attorney At Law article titled, “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Two: ‘Superhuman Law’ Breakdown and Guide” where Jennifer Walters is let go from her previous law firm but is now hired by a more prestigious one. Only catch, she must practice as She-Hulk. GLK/H hired She-Hulk not Jennifer. Will this affect Jen’s work while she deals with a difficult client who is a bit of an abomination??

https://talonnews.org/1143/entertainment/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-episode-two-superhuman-law-breakdown-and-guide/

Go check out the previous She-Hulk: Attorney At Law article titled, “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Three: ‘The People vs. Emil Blonsky’ Breakdown and Guide” where Jennifer Walters has to represent her client, Emil Blonsky, who is a bit of an abomination, as he is up for parole. But at a hearing revolving around an ex-military science experiment who did attack her cousin, Bruce, what’s the worst that can happen?? Will tracking down the Sorcerer Supreme help her case or cause more trouble??

https://talonnews.org/1273/entertainment/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-episode-three-the-people-vs-emil-blonsky-breakdown-and-guide/

Go check out the previous She-Hulk: Attorney At Law article titled, “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Four: “Is This Not Real Magic?” Breakdown and Guide” where Wongers needs Jen’s help after a rogue magician (a former student of the Mystic Arts at Kamar-Taj), Donny Blaze, who is a stage magician, starts sending people from the audience through portals and putting them in grave danger!! Wongers meets his new best friend, Madisynn- “with two Ns, one Y but it’s not where you thiiiiiiiink!!” 

https://talonnews.org/1286/entertainment/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-episode-four-is-this-not-real-magic-breakdown-and-guide/

Go check out the previous She-Hulk: Attorney At Law article titled, “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Five: “Mean, Green, and Straight Poured into These Jeans” Breakdown and Guide” where Jennifer Walters, AKA an attorney at law, is being sued for trademark infringement, by, you’d never guess, Titania. Jen quickly learns that Titania trademarked the name “She-Hulk” and now that she owns Jen’s superhero alias does that mean she can finally get away from that lifestyle and just be Jen again? What’s more irritating is that Titania is trying to sell a new line of beauty products under the She-Hulk name. Will Jen get her name back as she discovers that she’s still Jen where She-Hulk is just something that happened to her and is part of her now?? 

https://talonnews.org/1336/entertainment/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-episode-five-mean-green-and-straight-poured-into-these-jeans-breakdown-and-guide/

Go check out the previous She-Hulk: Attorney At Law article titled, “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Six: “Just Jen” Breakdown and Guide” where Jen is invited to an old friend’s wedding as a bridesmaid, can she juggle her normal life as just Jen as well as her unique She-Hulk hero issues?? 

https://talonnews.org/1340/entertainment/she-hulk-attorney-at-law-episode-six-just-jen-breakdown-and-guide/

Hidden Details/Easter Eggs: 

• In the beginning when Jen is listening to music some of the texts exchanged between Jen and Josh (her date), one in which was Josh joking that he´d just yell Jen´s name in order to find her house. 
  • While Jen is eagerly waiting for Josh to text her back she is seen to be watching The Great Muppet Caper from 1981, which is also streaming on Disney+. The scene shown is when Kermit and the Muppets have to break Miss Piggy out of jail. Miss Piggy in her iconic lilac gown with matching gloves bends the metal bars in order to escape. 
  • Once Jen is at Emil´s retreat she meets some of the heroes who are attending the retreat, most of the people Jen meets are characters taken directly from the Marvel comics. Man-Bull is the first to introduce himself to Jen. “Brother Blonsky taught me a lot about taking responsibility for my anger. Man-Bull. A weird lab experiment. Don´t ask.” His comic origin story is slightly teased in this introduction. In the comics William Taurens who was a henchman for Mister Kline who experimented on William who got tested with bull serum. Most notably Man-Bull has gone up against DareDevil multiple times in the comics. 
  • Jen is then introduced to El Águila. “And I am El Águila and before you make assumptions, no, I am not a matador. That’d make the two of us fighting pretty cliché, no?” Alejandro Montoya AKA El Águila discovered his mutant powers once moving from Madrid to America. He then vowed to fight crime as the costumed hero taking up the mantle of El Águila. El Águila translates to  “The Eagle” from Spanish. Most notably El Águila fights alongside Iron Fist in the comics. 
  • During one of Emil’s therapy sessions Jen stumbles into, she meets Porcupine and Saracen, both are taken directly from the comics. Alexander Gentry AKA Porcupine was originally a scientist who designed weapons for the United States Army. One of his ideas included a battle suit designed as a porcupine which included defense skills designed to be like a porcupine of quill-like projections. The suit design looked as if it were pulled directly from the comics which was a difficult transition from page to screen due to the texture and of course porcupine element. Most notably Porcupine has gone up against the Fantastic Four and even the X-Men. “This is Porcupine. He’s a porcupine.”
  • Saracen is not as known as a comic character as he should be but is actually one of the first vampires on Earth!! “And Saracen thinks he’s a vampire.” Fans are speculating that with the upcoming release of Blade this is a subtle way to tease vampires. Of course Marvel comics are full of monster hunters, most notably, Blade, a fan-favorite anti-hero who has dedicated his entire life to vampire hunting. Wesley Snipes is the most known Blade actor but the character has been rebooted in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with an upcoming movie starring Mahershala Ali. Originally Mahershala Ali was going to make his debut in Werewolf By Night as Blade but scheduling conflicts got in the way. Though the character Blade was introduced in The Eternals credit scene being teased while Dane Whitman wielded the Ebony Blade. Funny enough Saracen made his first appearance in a Blade comic. “Or he wanted your blood.” “Man, stop talking about blood. Not everybody’s your dad!!” “Don’t talk about my dad.” 
  • One of the best subtle easter eggs in this entire episode is during the therapy session one of the posters hanging up behind Emil says, “Abomaste”. This is of course a play on his superhero (anti-hero) counterpart, Abomination, and the yoga term, “Namaste”. 
  • BuzzFeed pointed out that, “You can see a jar filled with money sitting on a table next to Blonsky, and from what I can tell, the jar reads. ‘Chicken Jar.’ Earlier in the episode, Blonsky revealed he has a beloved chicken at his retreat.” In the episode Emile even says, “Come to think of it, I did get a jolt from an electric fence earlier, but it was with it… because my favorite chicken, Princess Silk Feather, was struck.” Throughout the entire episode at Emil’s retreat chickens can be seen scurrying around the premences. 
  • The tow truck that picks up Jen’s car says, “Slotts towing” on the side of the door. This name is a nod to Dan Slott who is a well-known Marvel comic writer, most known for his writing on She-Hulk, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Silver Surfer. Dan even tweeted about this fun little easter egg and mentioned other times his name was hidden in the MCU. He tweeted, “In the MCU: Donald Glover’s character lives in a street named after me. There’s also a street in Venice named after an Italian version of me. A driver’s holding up a sign for me while he;s waiting at JFK. My family owns a drywall/construction company. And I’ve got a tow truck.” The tow truck driver’s name tag even says Dan on it which is yet another nod to Dan Slott. 

All episodes of She-Hulk are streaming exclusively only Disney+!!

Look out for “She-Hulk: Attorney At Law Episode Eight Breakdown and Guide” Coming Soon!!

“Abomaste”