The Student News Site of Manchester Township High School

The Talon

Recent Scores
  • Apr 17 / GolfManchester Township High School - 172, Lacey - 194
  • Apr 15 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 0, Barnegat - 7
  • Apr 15 / Boys TennisManchester Township High School - 1, Lacey - 4
  • Apr 15 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 10, Keyport - 0
  • Apr 15 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 7, Donovan Catholic - 10
  • Apr 13 / SoftballManchester Township High School - 4, Toms River North - 14
  • Apr 12 / GolfManchester Township High School - 166, Toms River East - 186
  • Apr 11 / LacrosseManchester Township High School - 1, Long Branch - 11
  • Apr 11 / Boys VolleyballManchester Township High School - 2, Donovan Catholic - 0
  • Apr 10 / BaseballManchester Township High School - 1, Point Pleasant Boro - 7

The Talon

The Talon

Top 5 Most Popular New Years Goals

Angelia Buono
Image created in Canva

Have you ever heard of “New Year, New Me?” Entering The New Year there are many things people want to do to better themselves for a nice change and a promising year. From exercising more to quitting smoking there are many goals people strive to meet.

1. Exercise more- The new year is a boost of motivation and time to start over. Exercising benefits your health and is very good for you. You can do this as easy as going on a 5-minute walk or a bike ride. This goes for cardio, swimming, running, etc! 
  2. Reduce stress- A new year is a new beginning. After a whole year, many people have a lot of stress. There are so many good ways to reduce stress such as coloring a book, yoga, or meditating. In addition, you can make a gratitude book. It’s a book to write the things you appreciate or are grateful for in life.
  3. Learn a new skill/hobby- Learning a new skill or hobby is refreshing and something to benefit from. It’s challenging yourself and taking on new projects. It is also interesting to look forward to something new. Learning a new skill has more pros like improving communication, expanding your thinking, and building leadership. 
  4. Save more money/spend less- Getting into the habit of constantly spending your money is a problem. To enter the New Year it’s best to start saving your money. A few ways you can start saving your money is by setting a budget, for meals you can meal prep or avoid eating out, or open a savings account. Another efficient way is to track what you spend and cut back your grocery bills. Work smarter, not harder.
  5. Quit Vaping- In recent years, vaping has become more frequent, especially in teens. Vaping is addictive and harmful to your health. The toxic  ingredients in a vape are heavy metals like nickel, tin, and lead. To help yourself quit you can chew on mints or any hard candies, keep your mind busy at all times, and find ways to distract yourself, write in a journal, or keep a water bottle on you to drink if you get the urge to vape. Help is always available. Call SAMHSA National Helpline at 1-800-662-4357 to stop vaping now. You can also see Ms. Eckert in the guidance office for help or support.